Re: Deer

In a message dated 12/18/02 3:37:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, mtalt@hort.net

> They are decimating the understory of eastern woodlands - destroying
> stands of Trillium, Arisaema and just about any other indigenous
> wildflower, as well as seedling trees and shrubs

There is a fairly serious book by George Valchar, "My Connecticut Garden."
He is a retired engineer and has facts and figures on destruction of native
plants in the Northeast.  We own some acreage, two ponds and woodland. We
have no spring wildflowers of any species.  Fern survive.  Seedlings of
evergreen woodies disappear making the existing trees the last of their
stand.  If I find a trillium or hepatica (hepatica was everywhere you looked
in the woods at one time) or a lily, I get the shovel and move it inside the

This saddens me as the wildflowers that I knew as a child, particularly the
spring woodland plants are not on my land anymore.  They will survive in
Canada, in Maine and places where development is sparse.  I don't know the
answer, just that it is happening.  The entire center of China is a desert.
Once it was a woodland and there was forest and water.  Something to think

Claire Peplowski
East Nassau, NY
zone 4