hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Deer hunts

Marge, you are absolutely right, it does take more skill to kill deer with a
bow.  I think that is why, at least in NE, that bow season is the first one
in the year, so the deer won't be quite so skittery.  Of course if one is a
dedicated bow hunter, you can get quite good at it.  This year in NE, if you
took advantage of all the licenses available, you could "harvest" 8 deer
legally.  Rich in Z-5
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer hunts

> Rich, what you say makes very good sense...if you are hunting for
> meat, then the condition of the animal and the ability to find it
> would dictate when you hunted.  Thanks....had not thought of this.
> Ceres, think Rich's reason is prob. more on track than concern for
> orphans...don't you?
> Melody...bow and arrow may be the reason...I am not a hunter, so
> don't know, but would imagine it takes much more skill to bring down
> a dear with a bow and arrow than a rifle.  Rich...any comment on this
> as you seem to have actual experience here?
> Libby...had also not thought of when hunting season as a season
> started...good point;-)
> Now, I REALLY have to quit playing and get to work!
> Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> mtalt@hort.net
> Editor:  Gardening in Shade
> -----------------------------------------------
> Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part 3 - Amorphophallus
> http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening
> ------------------------------------------------
> Complete Index of Articles by Category and Date
> http://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html
> ------------------------------------------------
> All Suite101.com garden topics :
> http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
> ----------
> > From: Richard T. Apking <richa@midlands.net>
> >
> > I used to hunt deer a lot, but after a tour in RVN, it just wasn't
> fun any
> > more.  IMO the reason that most deer seasons/hunting is in the fall
> is that
> > the animals are in better shape, more and better meat, than in the
> spring
> > (starving all winter), summer (too much cover), winter (again
> starving).  I
> > have helped butcher winter kill and spring kill deer and the meat
> is really
> > poor.  Rich in Z-5
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement