Re: Deer/people as germs

I think I need to clarify my position before I'm accosted by Ceres and Marge
and apparently a new member (Claire!  Welcome Claire!)

I agree with both Linda and Libby.  The problem is not too many deer it's too
little habitat and not enough predators.  The balance is out of whack.  There
are too many people who want to live the rural life and have their gardens
too.  I have to confess I am one of these.  Hopefully within the next ten
years I'll be a distant neighbor of Linda's.  If there were a benevolent, all
knowing leader we should all live in mega-highrises right in the middle of
metro areas within walking distance to our jobs, stores, schools etc.  That
way we could leave the rest of the world to operate as it should...in the
state of nature.  Do I want to live that way?  No!  But I never claimed to be
an exception to anything.

My point in this was for those who choose a rural life to then complain about
the wildlife seems kinda funny to me.  I realize that the population of the
deer is exploding but that's because so many of us want to live in rural
areas AND not want to worry about wolves stalking them.  If this seems like
I'm talking in circles it is because I am and as Linda Ellerby used to say
"And so it goes!"  (Side note:  I know so many stories of people who move to
places like Alaska and then complain and shoot the bears, wolves and other
predators because they are afraid of them as perhaps they should be.  I hate
that.)

Note to Claire:  As much as I hate to say this to a new member but Claire
your garden isn't more important to me as the wildlife that inhabit that
area.  Believe me my garden is very important to me as well but a healthy
environment is far more important as far as I'm concerned.

This is a little morbid for a gardening chat group but I've heard many folks
describe the human species as a germ.  A germ that kills everything in it's
wake as it slowly spreads and increase exponentially until ultimately it
kills it's host...the planet.  I'm reminded of that analogy whenever topics
like this come up.

Marge, Ceres you know I don't mean anything derogatory when I write this
stuff.  I understand your problem.  However, Marge I would be willing to
trade you a dozen whitetails for a like number of urban rats which seem to be
multiplying in these parts as of late.

I just thought of a bumper sticker:  Save the native wildflowers...take down
your fences!  Seriously, the only answer is to cull the herds.  I'm all for
reintroducing predators, wolves, mountain lions into the ecosystem.  I
wouldn't walk alone at night though but it's something they should do.

DF  (Who's wondering if the desert in China is going to overtake us all)