Re: The Holy Book says...

:-)  David.....Well, I can tell you don't have deer if Hibiscus is
deer candy...you might have a slightly different outlook:-)  But,
seriously, it amazes me how many wild creatures have adapted to
living amongst humans...more than armadillos and deer are quite happy
to find the nooks and crannies and free handouts of suburbia and even
cities; most of them remain invisible to those who do not look for
them, but they're there. Only creatures with very specific
requirements do not survive...unfortunately, there are quite a few of
those, too.

And, I have to tell ya' that you must have a most unique version of
the "Holy Book" (or maybe your book is not the one I have known)...I
didn't know hand grenades had been invented when they were still
writing on papyrus, clay and stone:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
>
> It's a conundrum Marge for which I don't have the answer.  Don't
get the
> impression I begrudge you your garden...I don't.  As I said I would
love
> and will have a garden somewhere in the Rockies.  Probably won't be
> growing Hibiscus however.  (Deer candy by the way!)  Being a
realist I
> say kick their fannies.  Man created the imbalance and man must
correct
> it.  One way or another!  Like the armadillos there are a handful
of
> creatures that have learned or are suited to live with our
degradation.
> It makes the working of Ma Nature a truly wonderful thing.
>
> Let us not forget what the Holy Book says about fences and I quote:
> "Thou who fences thy neighbors out must have thine fences blown to
> smithereens by the holy hand grenade."  This can be interpreted in
many
> different ways by many different scholars.  For me, I'll just let
the
> words do the talking.
>
> DF
>
> Marge Talt wrote:
>
> > Well, David, I have always operated on the principle that
wildlife
> > has as much, if not more right to live on my land and this planet
as
> > I do; that it is my responsibility to come up with creative ways
> > get around whatever destructive proclivities they have...and
fencing
> > out the deer is my solution.  I agree with Claire, the only way
> > keep a garden in deer territory is fence them out - and like
Claire,
> > deer are free to roam the rest of my woodland; just NOT inside
the
> > fence:-)
> >
> > I don't regard it as an either/or issue. You can value wildlife
and
> > value your garden at the same time and to the same degree and
still
> > not want the wildlife to ruin the garden.  I see no contradiction
> > there.
> >
> > Of course the problem is that the balance is out of wack...that's
the
> > problem with humans vs nature all over the world, but most
> > particularly in the suburban/urban areas.  Well, I'm not even
sure we
> > can limit it to that because farming, by its very nature, is an
> > unnatural activity which causes imbalance in the native
ecosystem.
> > Actually, it seems that ALL human activity results in
> > imbalance...hmmm...that says something about us humans, doesn't
it?

> > I'd almost take your rats....well, almost:-)  We actually have a
> > family of rural rats that I don't really mind; they're quite
handsome
> > animals...
> >
> > The issue is, really, how to solve with the problem that we have
> > created...it is a problem, not only for human gardens, but for
the
> > rest of the wildlife in our woods whose habitat is disappearing -
> > along with the wildflowers.
> >
> > Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
> > mtalt@hort.net
> > Editor:  Gardening in Shade
> > Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part 3 - Amorphophallus
> > All Suite101.com garden topics :
> > http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
> > >
> > > I think I need to clarify my position before I'm accosted by
Ceres
> [...]
> > middle of
> > > metro areas within walking distance to our jobs, stores,
schools
> > etc.  That
> > > way we could leave the rest of the world to operate as it
> > should...in the
> > > state of nature.  Do I want to live that way?  No!  But I never
> > claimed to be
> > > an exception to anything.
> > >
> > > My point in this was for those who choose a rural life to then
> > complain about
> > > the wildlife seems kinda funny to me.  I realize that the
> > population of the
> > > deer is exploding but that's because so many of us want to live
in
> > rural
> > > areas AND not want to worry about wolves stalking them.  If
this
> > seems like
> > > I'm talking in circles it is because I am and as Linda Ellerby
used
> > to say
> > > "And so it goes!"  (Side note:  I know so many stories of
people
> > who move to
> > > places like Alaska and then complain and shoot the bears,
wolves
> > and other
> > > predators because they are afraid of them as perhaps they
should
> > be.  I hate
> > > that.)
> > >
> > > Note to Claire:  As much as I hate to say this to a new member
but
> > Claire
> > > your garden isn't more important to me as the wildlife that
inhabit
> > that
> > > area.  Believe me my garden is very important to me as well but
> > healthy
> > > environment is far more important as far as I'm concerned.
> > >
> > > This is a little morbid for a gardening chat group but I've
heard
> > many folks
> > > describe the human species as a germ.  A germ that kills
everything
> > in it's
> > > wake as it slowly spreads and increase exponentially until
> > ultimately it
> > > kills it's host...the planet.  I'm reminded of that analogy
> > whenever topics
> > > like this come up.
> > >
> > > Marge, Ceres you know I don't mean anything derogatory when I
write
> > this
> > > stuff.  I understand your problem.  However, Marge I would be
> > willing to
> > > trade you a dozen whitetails for a like number of urban rats
which
> > seem to be
> > > multiplying in these parts as of late.
> > >
> > > I just thought of a bumper sticker:  Save the native
> > wildflowers...take down
> > > your fences!  Seriously, the only answer is to cull the herds.
I'm