From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer/people as germs
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:25:02 EST

In a message dated 12/18/2002 8:34:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dfranzma@pacbell.net writes:

> My point in this was for those who choose a rural life to then complain
> about
> the wildlife seems kinda funny to me. I realize that the population of the
> deer is exploding but that's because so many of us want to live in rural
> areas AND not want to worry about wolves stalking them. If this seems like
> I'm talking in circles it is because I am and as Linda Ellerby used to say
> "And so it goes!" (Side note: I know so many stories of people who move
> places like Alaska and then complain and shoot the bears, wolves and other
> predators because they are afraid of them as perhaps they should be. I
> hate
> that.)

You seem to ignore those who live in urban, not rural, areas that are now
overrun by deer. I'm not very urban, but I lived here 15 years before we saw
a deer. Now there is a herd living in the neighborhood. It is not a matter
of choosing to live in a rural environment and then complaining about the
wildlife - the wildlife has invaded the urban areas. I just try to cope by
planting things they eata less of, which leads to some pretty strange
landscaping sometimes. Auralie