Re: Re: breads

 Here's an interesting fact about wheat bread and nutrition:  In order for a wheat bread to be counted towards your daily intake of whole grains, it must list the **first** ingredient as "whole wheat flour" not just "wheat flour"--otherwise it doesn't count...you may as well be eating white bread...Darn few wheat breads available in most grocery stores are actually whole wheat bread.  This holds true for any whole grain bread you might buy, like oat bread. And until the FDA gets this regulatory thing about language and packaging under control, you cannot really rely on the advertising parts of the wrapper--you have to look at the ingredient list.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Sun 12/15, Kitty Morrissy  wrote:From: Kitty Morrissy [mailto: kmrsy@earthlink.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:26:58 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: Haggis>breads> we are the only country > of the world that eats that god-awful wonder bread stuff.>Man, I have always hated that stuff that turns to dough the minute you biteinto it and sticks to the roof of your mouth.  I grew up on -what else?-potato bread.  Good solid stuff.  You toasted it for breakfast, madesandwiches on it for lunch, and that was your bread with dinner, not tomention a snack before bed.  Wonderful stuff.  It destroys my kitchen whenI make it, so I make a marathon of it and make at least 4 big loaves at atime and freeze or give to my sister.  Nothing considered to Ma who made ither whole life, 10-12 loaves at a time.When I buy bread now, it has to be that heavy-duty Brownberry stuff, 24ozwheat bread.  Or I'd take a good tough Jewish rye.Kitty---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT