Re: Deer hunts

 Marge:  I think some one earlier nailed this one when they talked about how we as humans have created this problem by ridding ourselves of the natural predators like coyotes and wolves...In addition, a century ago, deer provided a main source of meat and were actively hunted all year long to provide fresh food..now hunting is more a sport and deer rarely provides a family's main subsistence.  So we've doubled the problem with just those two things.  I know it would be a very hard sell to allow us to revert back to a) reintroduction of natural predators and b) year round deer seasons  but I can't see any way around this problem...except to continue to let the deer overpopulate and spread Chronic Wasting Disease and thereby wipe out the herds that way...I would vote for the former options but I am sure politicians who control these things will just let the ravages of disease take the issue out of their hands.

Melody, IA (Z 5/4)

--Albert Einstein --- On Wed 12/18, Marge Talt  wrote:From: Marge Talt [mailto: mtalt@hort.net]To: gardenchat@hort.netDate: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 03:50:44 -0500Subject: Re: [CHAT] Deer huntsAlso most interesting, Melody.  It would seem to me, that if the goalis reduced population, then an extension of the season makes sense. I'm not sure why deer hunting has always been a fall activity, unlessit started back before refrigeration and the cold weather was neededto keep the meat from spoiling.I can understand the reluctance to permit even controlled hunts inhighly populated areas...all it takes is one kid getting shot tocreate havoc.If controlled hunts are not the answer, I wonder just what is...andthis is a problem that needs a resolution, not only for our ownpersonal gardens, but for the health of the remaining deer herds andthe continuance of our woodlands, whose survival is going to dependon reducing the deer depredations.  Marge Talt, zone 7 Marylandmtalt@hort.netEditor:  Gardening in Shade-----------------------------------------------Current Article: Wild, Wonderful Aroids Part 3 - Amorphophallushttp://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/shade_gardening------------------------------------------------Complete Index of Articles by Category and Datehttp://mtalt.hort.net/article-index.html------------------------------------------------All Suite101.com garden topics :http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635----------> From: Melody > >  Marge:  I think that as Ceres points out, this unnatural method ofherd control is not cheap...it takes a lot of coordination and timeto pull off one of these controlled hunts.  Also, although our countydid manage to cull somewhere in the neighborhood of a few hundreddeer, the darn little buggers breed faster than one hunt can keep upwith each season.  I have hunting friends who believe that two deerseasons, a fall and a spring hunt, might help reduce the population alittle more effectively, but there again, you are talking aboutmoney...One of the other reasons we have not had much luck  in term

sof long term success, is that it is very difficult to convince acommunity to let sharpshooters take deer within people populatedareas (which is where so many of the deer/people problems exist inthe first place), so most of our controlled hunts take place in morerural areas, like the major county/state parks in the area...Myhusband says he thinks the county has decided n!>  ot to do a controlled hunt this year and return to investigatingother options, too.---------------------------------------------------------------------To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with themessage text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com