Lawn substitutes

I have tried for 3 years in a row to grow grass in the bald spots in my
backyard.  I have very poor red clay soil in zone 7 (Virginia).  I've tried
clover (which I think fixes nitrogen, right?) with minimal success.  Any
suggestions for something green that is wimpy enough to be cut with a
non-gas powered (reel) mower? I'm very happy with the crabgrass and it does
well in my soil, but it doesnt fill in until darn near summer, and the
muddly paws drive me crazy.