RE: Intro- Mariana

Mariana, Welcome to the group!

Zone 7 - West TN

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of grdengrl@optonline.net
Sent: Friday, December 20, 2002 11:41 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Intro- Mariana

My name is Mariana.  I live in NYC and in the process of getting my
certificate in horticulture from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.  In the
summer I grow vegetables and tend to my front yard in which I recently
established a perennial garden.  A mother of two wonderful boys and a
wife to a great guy who is very patient and supportive of my hobbies :).

Recently I've been trying to fight off a terrible bout with a condition
known as Orchid Fever.   I grow a wide variety of orchids but not as
wide I as I would like it to be.  I have a basement that is about 1,500
sq feet which I'm planning to eventually convert into an orchid nirvana
<g>.  I would like to take a trip in to the jungles of Borneo, Malaysia
simply because I want to see a particular orchid species blooming in the
wild.  My husband, two days ago broke the stem of an almost open slipper
orchid, I'm still reeling from the shock.

At the present time I have a house full of Phalaenopsis orchids blooming
in a wide array of colors which is really nice when it's cold and
miserable outside. Of course I also have two denrobiums turning yellow
leaves and than losing them, and I'm not sure why.

I am happy to be here and look forward to learning about what others
grow and how they grow it.

Brooklyn, NYC 6b