Re: Orchids by Mr. Jim Singer

----- Original Message -----
From: "jim singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 6:05 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Orchids by Mr. Jim Singer

> i'm somewhat embarrassed to admit it, mariana, but i don't know what most
> of the orchids around here are--except the ground orchids [spathoglottis
> and phaius] and the vanilla vine. to make it worse, i've never tried to
> figure out what they were--most, if not all, are hybrids and i would go
> crazy trying to keep all that straight.

Oh I'm sure, and I totally understand what you are saying.  My first orchid
was a phalaenopsis.  I had it for almost two years before it dawned on me
that it would be a good idea to figure out what it is ;).  And I too have
several orchids for which I have no ID.  I wish I knew what they were

> many of the orchids in my yard were discards, literally picked up here and
> there--and tied or glued to tree limbs and fence posts on the notion that
> if they survived, they'd look interesting and if they didn't, nothing

I wish I could do that.  But no orchid I'm afraid is hardy in my zone.  So
if I placed them on trees I'd have to be prepared for them to not make it.
I can't do that, don't have the heart.

> there are many, many orchid nurseries around here, and orchids are the
> common "house" gift, much like african violets in the north. someone
> invites you to dinner, you take an orchid and a bottle of wine when you

Wow, where do you live? I want to move there :).

> i also found a large group of native orchids on a live oak tree where i
> work and have been removing the pups and gluing them to other oak trees.
> it's a pretty little thing; i can send you a picture if you'd like to see

Yes please, i'd like that very much.

Thank you.