our annual christmas tour

we just returned from our annual tour of the neighborhood to observe how our neighbors are observing the yule tide. that is, we were driving around looking at the lights and such.

there are two major new themes in christmas light extravaganzas this year. the first is spelling out in red lights bordered in white lights on a blue light background the seasonal greeting "united we stand." in the context of christian holy days, i'm not sure what that implies.

the second major theme is much like the first, except the lights spell out "god bless america." if i had had the wit to foresee these decorations in september, i surely would have purchased red, white, and blue christmas light futures [probably on the hong kong stock market].

the best light-fest in my neighborhood, in my opinion, of course, is a yard that is chock-a-block with three dimensional characters [they appear to be cast of plaster then painted] that are illuminated with an amazing number of small spotlights. there must be more than 200 characters [plus lots of other stuff, like trees and cutaway stables and such] in an area that is maybe 80 feet wide by 20 feet deep. what appealed to me about this decoration was that snow white, the seven dwarfs, and snoopy were all part of the creche.

i know you don't believe a word i've written. maybe i should cruise around the neighborhood with my camera and record all this folk art--and the house, not too far from her, with a "landscape" that is made up entirely of artificial plants.

jsinger@igc.org