Re: Escargot begonia

In a message dated 12/21/02 9:28:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, jsinger@igc.org

>  to me it looks like any number of rex begonias, but
> with less attractive coloration than most of those one finds in the trade
> or even, gasp, at home depot>>>>>>

Or Walmart where it has been seen from time to time.  Escargot was shown on
the Martha Stewart program and gained in fame in the US via Ms. Stewart.  If
she says it is a worthy plant to grow, it is assured celebrity status.
Escargot was supposed to be bred to overcome the difficulties of growing the
rex class indoors with low humidity.  I don't know if that is the case but it
is around to buy easily.  If you operate your greenhouse or indoor garden
space, whatever type, at temperatures around 50 degrees more or less with
higher day temps. they don't do well, the rex types.

Claire Peplowski
NYS z4