Re: our annual christmas tour

Hello Jim,
    Your tour of the holiday lights and decorations has become as much a
part of the holidays as the lights themselves. We have been doing a bit of
that ourselves around here. Our favorite is the country side off the main
roads. The Christian churches look like something out of a Vegas show.
Catholics are quite sedate about it all on the outside of their buildings.
    Americans are quite emotional people and it gets expressed in our
culture openly. Sometimes, it all seems to run together like stew in a big
bowl... but I was taught in school civics that we are to be proud of that
aspect to our lives. In spite of all the talk about separation between
church and state the two are very much linked in our culture. Ask any
"outsider" who is not a Christian.We assume so much.....
    Anyway... I am from the hills of Kentucky and live in a rural area here.
Lots of lights and decorations, some to overflowing in the yards, and much
of it is a mix. Gardening is about the same... lots of "stuff" and self
expression. I can still take you to were people whitewash their trees and
shrubs, rocks placed in circles for flower beds.... along with some pretty
creative "use what you have" arrangements. Sometimes it is referred to as
"folk art" today.
    America is one hell of a country with a breadth and depth that has a
full range of expression from dirt poor to filthy rich as ... and all that
that one implies. That coming from one who is not particularly patriotic,
political, or religions. I happen to be somewhat suspicious of those
institutions.....
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com