Re: Orchids

----- Original Message -----
From: <ECPep@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 21, 2002 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Orchids

> If they live in a greenhouse, they stay and if not, well compost.  Unless
> specialize in orchids, I cannot fathom how a general gardener could know
> species and crosses and hybrids.  Trying may even take away the pleasure
> growing the orchid.  Tens of thousands exist.

Indeed.  But what I noticed about myself is, that the more I read and get
involved, the more I want a specific orchid, I want a particular look, a
particular color, particular foliage....And if I know at least some of the
species and their growing habit, form, color, I can look in that lineage to
see if I can get what I want.

> Both books, "Orchid Fever" and "The Orchid Thief" are good reading.

This is precisely why I want to see the Paph sandirianum (sp) in it's native
land :)....I would love to recreate the trip that they took into the rain
forest of Borneo.

> Just now we have two in spike, a term used for orchids that I had to
> in December.  Also, another mention is that eBay may be the orchid center
> the universe these days.  Everything in every size is eventually offered.
> have often thought that if I wanted to grow a collection, here would be a
> place to begin.

I found a great Balb. Phal there, I desperately wanted it and put the
auction on watch.  It was offered at $9.99, and sold for $219.00.