Re: excited

yes, indeed, marge. it's going to be very interesting to watch as it unfolds. it's the kind of job that not only makes money and showcases your work, but generates the kind of publicity you can't buy.

i guess i never thought of it before but the garden staff has no real design skills. it was originally designed by mrs selby and her gardeners. then 20 or 30 years ago it was re-designed by the head of the university of florida landscape department/school. the designer who is handling the job for us now was trained by the fu professor--a little continuity there.

the first part, the lawn renovation, will take maybe a month to complete. the lawn's 44,000 square feet. we're going to strip it, re-grade and compact the substrate, install a layer of "grass pave2" [which is a porous plastic brick-like interlocking block], float a layer of 89 screenings over that, and then install zoysia. the purpose of this kind of installation is to create a surface that can take vehicular traffic without forming ruts.

this job will start when the "season" is over, about easter. [the "season" refers to that part of the year--roughly thanksgiving to easter--when there are more cars with license plates from ontario, michigan, indiana, and ohio on our roads than there are cars with florida license plates.]