RE: Orchids for the northern USA

Hi Gene,
I would be very interested in finding out how they moved the Pink
Ladyslippers with success.

When we tried it just did not work. We tried larger established plants
and very young plants. We took large areas of soil as not to disturb the
roots much... we found a place with what appeared to be a exact match...
same light patterns, wind patterns, moisture levels, same type trees and
understory in the area, ph levels, same elevation on the shoals, even
watched that the natural mulch ( read - leaves, pine needles and snow)
appeared to be the same type and depth in that area... we thought we
found the perfect area. We tried at different times also... at different
stages throughout the season. We could keep them alive for awhile, but
none ever came back. Our thought was it needs some kinda of host that
was not at the new location.

We really would like to have some visible for those interested in seeing
them. But decided to forget the idea.... since we are obviously not
knowledgeable enough to move them.

And before I have to duck.... they were in the nature center, moved, but
still inside the nature center... no one is taking them home!