Re: Orchids for the northern USA

Mariana, governments do stupid things. This is a fine example of stupidity. CITES is at fault because they didn't add "endanger" to their "may nots" . That might have prevented the bulldozing. The local government that permits the bulldozing may be ignorant of the "may nots, " so they permit destruction. In the U.S., the US Dept. of Agriculture specifies that all plants, seeds, roots, etc., must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate to be imported. Few governments have that capability. So many of us think there's ongoing research into medical miracles to be performed by as-yet-undiscovered rain forest or jungle plants, but there's no legal possibility of their being brought into the U.S. for study, lacking a phytosan certificate. Stupid is as stupid does, as they say. Monarch butterfly larvae feed exclusively on asclepias, yet the county fathers of Lucas county, Ohio, have decreed that all asclepias must be pulled out or the county will do it and charge the homeowners. The reason? Someone might be allergic. If they're truly that worried about allergens, they'd better wipe out lawns. Margaret L

On a related note.  Cites (The convention on International Trade in
Endangenerd Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES (the Convention on
International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild http://www.cites.org/
has 53 Paphiopedilum species on it's
appendix I list for Malaysia. That means that you may not collect these
wild orchids for any reason, you may not collect the pollen pouch, the
flower, leaves, no roots or seeds. In the very late 90's much of the area
where these orchids grow in the wild has been literally buldouzed down to
make living space for the expanding local population. Despite the fact that
these orchids could have been saved via human intervention and lots of noise
was made about it, the Paphs remained on the CITES Appendix I list.

I'm trying to understand the lack of logic in this whole concept and it
drives me nuts not to be able to figure out why this is being done.

Does anyone understand this oddity, can someone explain to me why are these

orchids are allowed to be killed, when they can be easily saved?

Mariana
NYC Brooklyn, Zone 6b
http://photos.yahoo.com/gardengrl911