Re: trains in the garden/birds

In a message dated 12/28/2002 12:02:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> And since we are on the subject of birds..... how do you all deal with
> the mess under the bird feeders.... as in I got everything sprouting
> there! Forever weeding something out. The main section of feeders are by
> my side window. Tigger (the cat) loves to sit/lay in his hammock and
> watch them. I no longer open that window up.... way to dangerous.. birds
> on window sill and cat on other side of screen.. they are nose to beak--

We feed nothing but sunflower hearts.  They are a bit more expensive to buy,
but since there are no shells, you get more "meat" for your money.  All kinds
of birds seem to love them, and there is no mess of weeds under the feeders.
Also none of the growth inhibitor from sunflower shells.  We feed an awful
lot of birds - they just seem to come in swirls.  The cats sit beside the
window and twitch their tails, but the only cat that goes out is far too fat
and lazy to make the effort to catach a bird.
Auralie