Re: great gardening gifts now garden trains

Donna wrote:

Chris,
Since I am not familiar with lego trains, what scale are they? The ones
in the pictures appear to be a large track very similar to G scale. But
pictures can be deceiving so?
They're not quite G scale, but are larger than S scale.  Of course, that's
referring to the track -- the cars can be as large or small as you want,
as long as they fit on the track.  There's a huge religious war on about
LEGO trains.  One camp argues that trains that are built six-wide (that is,
six LEGO studs wide) take curves better and look more stream-lined.  The
eight-wide camp argues that eight is more realistic and offers many more
building opportunities.  So far I've only done six-wide.

Maybe you can use the garden railroad track (1:22.5 ?) and use a X10
system to power it.
X10?!?  How passe.  ;)  That's for the irrigation system and Christmas
lights, but hardly appropriate for a LEGO train set.

Now, if I was to use the LEGO Mindstorms RCX controllers *that* would be
cool.  Trains could auto-sense when they were going to collide and could
slow down or a switch could be thrown in certain instances (again,
probably a potential collision).  Lights could go on when it became
dark, gates could go up and down, cars could even be programmed to
drive around the town and stop at the gate if a train was coming...

Good thing that I don't have any more free time. :)

Hum Chris.... you own a computer company... why are your lego pictures
not on line? Duh?
Mostly because I'm too cheap to buy a digital camera.  All of the good
ones are in the thousands of dollars and I can't bring myself to spend
money on a 'lesser' model.  Not to mention that shooting film with my 35mm
seems like a waste.

I do have some pictures of my castle project online, but they're really
old and don't reflect the latest changes.  Now the thing covers 4' x 4'
on two folding tables in my office (and will soon expand to 4' x 6').
These were from the first few weeks that I started the project:

   http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/lego/castle/kingrear-weather-5-640.jpg
   http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/lego/castle/tower-weather-5-640.jpg
   http://www.mallorn.com/~lindsey/lego/castle/

Chris