Now, Bermuda and mockingbirds

I have been expanding beds, removing the wild Bermuda.  The beds are
expanded around the edges...I dig up the grass...shake out the sod...you
are right, it is good stuff and usually has lots of fat earthworms around
the Bermuda roots.  When I use Roundup, it takes two applications in the
hottest weather.

I will give the layered approach one more try this spring as I work on yet
another bed but so far it has not worked for me, no matter how high I pile
stuff (sometimes over a foot)...the grass just seems to put out longer
runners and come out the top.

I have lots of trees and mow mulch my leaves.  It makes wonderful
mulch...some I just mow and leave on the ground to build up top
soil.  Where the leaves are deep, I mow and move by wheelbarrow to beds
that need them.  When mowed, they don't blow away.

Re the diving mockingbirds...when they dive bomb, it is usually because
there is a nest near.  I have cats, too.  Whenever the cat, or neighbor's
dog, or person gets near a nest, they become very aggressive in protecting it.

Cold winter has arrived in East TN.  My fall garden is definitely put to
bed...I had been covering my leaf lettuce and bok choy...did have some
through Christmas but the day after...brrrr.

Bonnie 6+ ETN