Re: RE: Theresa, found > fire

I agree. Would never burn if I lived on a small (< 1 acre) or in a closely populated area. Would not burn what I could compost. (The spouse is an allergist who is himself sensitive to odors...I have not worn makeup or perfume in 20+ years. No scented candles either!) When we lived in the Puyallup, WA, area in 1985, you couldn't even use your fireplace on certain days because of pollution concerns. In our area, we have neighbors who ask to add stuff to our burn pile.
On Saturday, December 28, 2002, at 03:10 PM, Kitty Morrissy wrote:

You raise important points, but they don't hold much weight in a
subdivision within city limits that has lots of about 60x120. Peonies and
lilies go to the dump. No one on these small lots has so much of these
items that they have to burn them. The city picks up the leaves and uses
the compost they make. We shouldn't be burning them in such close spaces
with neighbors who suffer from emphezema, asthma, etc.

Some people love the smell of burning leaves; I can't abide it. The same
people who wouldn't think of smoking cigarettes around their kids think
nothing of filling their kids' lungs with carbon from burning leaves.
Fine, but I don't want my house or my cats reeking of carbon.

If you live in the country it's, I guess, ok to pollute the air with
burning leaves. you're the one that has to deal with it. But in close
quarters, I don't think so.

[Original Message]
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: 12/28/2002 2:09:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] RE: Theresa, found  > fire

Why burn leaves when you can compost them? But there are larger items,
and some plant material that is diseased or harbors certain insects for
which burning is an appropriate option. (Not to mention the controlled
burns involved in prairie management.) Burning also requires taking
conditions such as moisture and wind into account as well.