RE: Leucothoe -no comments?

Ceres,
I didn't respond the first time because I was planning to alot a block of
time for catalogs today.  Also, I don't have any real experience with these
plants.  We do grow  (L)Leucothok fontanesiana 'Rainbow' (Doghobble) at the
display gardens.  I think it would be similar to the one you ask about
because my references indicate that there is some confusion between several
species: L. axillaris (A), catesbaei (C), fontanesiana (F), and walteri (W)
because they are very similar.

In 1989 Martin & Rix showed that C was a synonym for F.  As late as 1992
Hillier said of F, "For many years this plant has been grown as LC, which
name rightly belongs to another, closely-related specicies, LA."  However
by 1995, Hillier changed it's tune to: "For many years L.W. has been grown
as F, the name by which it is probably still known in most nurseries."  AHS
in 1999 prefered F over W.  Other references provide more confusion.

The reason I bring up the species name confusion is that VS may or may not
be LA. Regardless, it would seem that most info you find under any of these
species names will be of help because they are so close.  Even Dirr admits
to having trouble telling the difference.  Your LA Vanilla Swirl is shown
as hardy to zone 5 in Wayside's catalog.  AHS and RHS list only to 6.  Dirr
says 6-9, 5 with protection.  (all this if VS is indeed an A.  Wayside has
been wrong about these things before.)

Kitty