Re: trains in the garden/birds

makes sense to me. the peeps wouldn't have any grit in their craws to grind up the seed--unless the nest has a sandy floor :>)

At 01:35 PM 12/29/02 -0500, you wrote:
Cathy,
Maybe it's an urban legend, but I understood that birds don't feed seeds to
their babes: they can't process it for that purpose.  They need insects and
worms.    But then, I haven't read the WSJ article.   My theory had been
that the birds would eat at the feeder for themselves and go on to gather
insects to feed their young.
Janet