Re: Leucothoe -no comments?

Cersgarden@aol.com wrote:
Does not tolerate drought or windy conditions. Although winter hardy to Zone 5, this shrub should be planted in a protected location and given a good winter mulch in the St. Louis area to insure winter survival.

Thanks, Donna & Kitty, for your replies. The above was taken from one of the web sites Donna listed. Guess I need to forget this one. Doesn't like wind and if it needs protection in St Louis, no way it would survive in my garden. For you in warmer climates this may be worth a look.
Hi Ceres,

   For what it's worth, I've been growing Leucothoe fontanesiana 'Girard's
   Rainbow' in East Central Illinois (zone 5b) for over five years now.  It's
   performing very well without much protection.

   At the Morton Arboretum (Chicago suburbs, zone 5a USDA) it grows in sheltered
   corners without any additional mulching.

Chris

http://www.hort.net/gallery/      3142 online plant photos and growing!
http://www.hort.net/gallery/date/2002-12-08/       The latest additions