Re: Orchids for the northern USA

Hello Donna,
    What you are asking is really a two part-er on pink ladyslipper.
One... the actual digging and moving. The root system on a ladyslipper is
like a wagon wheel or pancake with a bump(s) in the middle. Very shallow
rooted and spread out like spokes on a wheel around the central eye that you
see above ground. If you are trying to move the roots with soil, it is
necessary to make sure the soil is wet so it will hang together while you
take a large shallow sod up without breaking up the root system. They are
not fond of having their root systems chopped up.
    If you are moving a sod, put back the way it was taken our and to the
same depth. Make sure it does not dry out severely the first year or two
after transplanting. If you have a bare root plant, loosen the soil, and
place on top of the ground, then cover with highly acidic soil and acidic
mulch such as pine needles or oak leaves, pine bark. Water with
vinegar-water mix.... or empty your coke bottles ... ants will love you, and
the drink is certainly acidic...... Seriously, know someone who is
successful using soda pot to water.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com