Re: Harry Potter, LEGO trains

Linda L Wallpe wrote:

What the Lego website actually reads at the bottom of the ad for the
train is:  "Train does not run on LEGO train tracks. "   Do they mean by
this that it doesn't have an engine or........?  Really, I know nothing
about trains, please spell it out for me.
One thing that I didn't think to check when I tried it was whether or
not it could handle curves.  The wheels that they mounted will work
fine on a straight track, but wouldn't turn on a curved track.

It's easy to fix; the kit that comes with an engine, transformer (for
power), and the wheels is available for purchase from LEGO.com.  Of course,
like all things LEGO, it's not cheap!

         >>>I'm trying to find out from some of the LEGO train clubs what
kind of experiences
        they've had with outdoor setups, so I'll let you know what I find
if you're interested. >>>

I am sincerely interested and would like to hear what you learn.  One of
the beds back there is teardrop shaped and I think a track going around
it would be neat.  Thank you.
One thread that I found talks about making your own track:

Like the folks there, I suspect that the biggest problem would be the
plastic breaking down over time.  If I put out LEGO track I'd probably
epoxy it together to prevent shifting (actually, PVC cement works great
with ABS plastic), but I need to do a cost analysis next.

It looks like the ones at LEGOLAND, CA are custom-made to a different,
larger scale.  They talk about an article in Garden Railways Magazine
about LEGO trains:

I'll keep looking!

Chris (who has to go update the hort.net gallery tonight)