Re: herbs

In a message dated 12/31/2002 10:41:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@earthlink.net writes:

> Bonnie mentioned the lack of regulation of herbal remedies and other
> homeopathic solutions.  And Auralie went on to discuss the cost of
> pharmeceuticals.  These things triggered some reservations I have about
> what
> the drug companies tell us.  They caution us against herbs, but have you
> listened to the commercials for the new medications?  Talk about side
> effects!
> Have you looked at a Physicians Desk Refernece?  I used tetracyclin many
> years ago without a problem, but when it was prescribed for my husband, he
> experienced every side effect in the PDR book!

A book published last year by Putnam/Penguin documents how drug companies
make a practice of issuing their products in one-size-fits-all dosages, and
advertise them thus to doctors to make them easier for the doctors to
perscribe.  All this without the least consideration of the fact that body
size, age, and various other factors influence how the individual processes
the medication - and there are many individual variations.  Also, doctors are
encouraged to consider all but the most extreme side effects as "minor."

On at totally different angle, we are constantly told that because of the
global environmental destruction we are losing massive numbers of species,
any one of which could provide the next life-saving medication -- but we are
also told that these herbal or natural medications are primitive and
non-scientific.  What am I missing?

I'd better stop before I get myself into trouble - I have strong opinions on
these matters.  Auralie