Re: herbs and spices and greed

it's not just to make money from, Auralie. it's the perks, too. a friends wife is a nurse in a large group practice. a drug manufacturer caters at least one of their lunches every week--two, three, or four times when their latest patent re-configuration has ben approved. for the whole bloody office [they are not elitists, after all]. and then, of course, there are the drug company sponsored ce golf course seminars--usually in the bahamas. the whole thing is out of control. and would be more so if it wasn't for the sudden large number guys opening canadian-buying drug shops [they're popping up all over florida and, i have heard there is even one in the "mall of america" in minneapolis].

At 09:45 AM 12/31/02 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 12/31/2002 5:54:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wmorgan972@ameritech.net writes:

> Herbs are not always appreciated by all sectors of life.  If you tell your
> doctor you are taking an herbal remedy, he or she may not be very pleased.
> There is some good reason for that in that many drugs come from herbs and
> use of a home-made herb may interact negatively with some prescriptions
> taken.  Also, many "manufacturers" of herbal remedies are not regulated by
> the food and drug administration.  There is no organization that oversees
> that Echinacea is the same strength from manufacturer to manufacturer or
> even from container to container.  Standardization is badly needed in the
> "herbal" products on the market and interactions need more study.

To say nothing of the fact that herbs are much more reasonable in price than
the drugs sold by pharmaceutical companies.  Of course they don't want you to
take anything that they can't make money from, and most herbal products
cannot be patented and controlled by the big pharmaceuticals.  But I won't
ride that hobby any farther.  Auralie