From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2002 9:45 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] herbs and spices; OT

In a message dated 12/31/2002 5:54:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wmorgan972@ameritech.net writes:

> Herbs are not always appreciated by all sectors of life.  If you tell your
> doctor you are taking an herbal remedy, he or she may not be very pleased.
> There is some good reason for that in that many drugs come from herbs and
> use of a home-made herb may interact negatively with some prescriptions
> taken.  Also, many "manufacturers" of herbal remedies are not regulated by
> the food and drug administration.  There is no organization that oversees
> that Echinacea is the same strength from manufacturer to manufacturer or
> even from container to container.  Standardization is badly needed in the
> "herbal" products on the market and interactions need more study.

To say nothing of the fact that herbs are much more reasonable in price than

the drugs sold by pharmaceutical companies.  Of course they don't want you
take anything that they can't make money from, and most herbal products
cannot be patented and controlled by the big pharmaceuticals.  But I won't
ride that hobby any farther.  Auralie