Re: Mail Order Nurseries / One Speaks

Well, Gang
    You knew I would eventually have to jump in here;-)
    One of the things that gets lost in a conversation among ourselves is we
are "preaching to the converted". Most on this list are above average on
plant knowledge. Not as with the general population of gardeners or
yardeners. Not everyone shares your passion or depth of knowledge.
When I grow on or order 72 plugs to grow on for 6 months to a year for
resale, I need a market for same. If I do not sell them I go out of
business. There is a balance in all this and it is a fine line. If I get too
far ahead of the curve I "eat the plants". Too far behind and "everyone"
already has one. Also I must build a customer base that wants the rare,
unusual, or different from their neighbors. ... and will purchase a plant
that is going to cost them a bit extra. Most gardeners want what they have
seen elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that, unless you are among the "few".
    I spend a tremendous amount of time educating gardeners hoping that they
may one day become a customer. Articles in magazines, on my web site,
newspapers, etc. Slide presentations and lectures each month all over the
place. All these email lists each day, 7 days a week. One on one with
customers here. My catalog which I must write and publish each year. And so
    Will you notice and purchase from me??? Odds say you will not. The
majority of gardeners will purchase what they know where they live ( and
most likely from a very large discount store). Nothing wrong there or "bad",
just reality. We live on a very thin slice of the gardening pie here.
    But, I will say that one day there may only be the big discounters
remaining, or close to it. No one to ask questions of, no one to pass out
printed information or maintain a web site where you can check up on a
plant. Just here it is, and it will be tiny and poorly cared for. Shoppers
will have gotten what they purchased over the years.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana