Re: now hosta

As others have noted, Pam, that's perfectly normal.  Hosta go dormant
in fall and reappear in spring.  Most of them actually require a
certain amount of cold vernalization to grow well, which is why they
are often not as robust in the deep south as in the north.  In my
climate, the leave of all of them turn a sort of transparent yellow
with the first light frosts and then simply go flat and shrivel up
with our killing frost.  I am sure they will behave differently in
your climate.  Also agree that shade is a must where you are.
Northern gardeners on other lists have sworn black and blue that
hosta need full sun...not where I am!  There are a few that take more
sun than others, but even those end up with brown leaf edges by
August around here.  They will need shade, but also good light - like
they do not grow well smack under some large shrub or tree where it's
so dark even weeds won't grow.

Protecting from slugs is a good plan, as those pests love hosta and
can really make a hash out of the unfolding leaves in spring, which
leaves you with one ragged plant all season.  Most of mine looked
like hell all season as they got hit by a hail storm early on and do
not put out new foliage once they've opened all their leaves:-(  But,
hopefully, next year we won't have hail in early June and they'll be
fine.

The hosta with thick leaves are more resistant to slug attack than
those with thinner leaves, BTW.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade