From: Gene Bush [mailto: genebush@otherside.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:15:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Mail Order Nurseries / One Speaks

Well, Gang<br> You knew I would eventually have to jump in here;-)<br>
One of the things that gets lost in a conversation among ourselves is
we<br>are "preaching to the converted". Most on this list are above
average on<br>plant knowledge. Not as with the general population of
gardeners or<br>yardeners. Not everyone shares your passion or depth of
knowledge.<br>When I grow on or order 72 plugs to grow on for 6 months
to a year for<br>resale, I need a market for same. If I do not sell them
I go out of<br>business. There is a balance in all this and it is a fine
line. If I get too<br>far ahead of the curve I "eat the plants". Too far
behind and "everyone"<br>already has one. Also I must build a customer
base that wants the rare,<br>unusual, or different from their neighbors.
... and will purchase a plant<br>that is going to cost them a bit extra.
Most gardeners want what they have<br>seen elsewhere. Nothing wrong with
that, unless you are among the "few".<br> I spend a tremendous amount of
time educating gardeners hoping that they<br>may one day become a
customer. Articles in magazines, on my web site,<br>newspapers, etc.
Slide presentations and lectures each month all over the<br>place. All
these email lists each day, 7 days a week. One on one with<br>customers
here. My catalog which I must write and publish each year. And
so<br>on.......<br> Will you notice and purchase from me??? Odds say you
will not. The<br>majority of gardeners will purchase what they know
where they live ( and<br>most likely from a very large discount store).
Nothing wrong there or "bad",<br>just reality. We live on a very thin
slice of the gardening pie here.<br> But, I will say that one day there
may only be the big discounters<br>remaining, or close to it. No one to
ask questions of, no one to pass out<br>printed information or maintain
a web site where you can check up on a<br>plant. Just here it is, and it
will be tiny and poorly cared for. Shoppers<br>will have gotten what
they purchased over the years.<br> Gene E. B

ush<br>Munchkin Nursery & Gardens,
as others have said; depends a lot on where you are and<br>> what plants
you're interested in. I've ordered plants via mail for<br>> 30 years
because I wanted something I couldn't otherwise get. Yes,<br>> if you
can find what you want locally in a nice large pot, you're<br>> ahead of
the game, but even around here, where more and more is<br>> becoming
available, the really choice and rare stuff is only going to<br>> be
found via mail.<br>><br>> IMO we need to support our mailorder
nurseries. Many of them are the<br>> last remnants of true nurseries
where they propagate and grow the<br>> plants they sell. Most garden
centers and large local nurseries<br>> around here buy in their plants;
don't grow a thing; never propagate<br>> at all. The people selling
don't know much about plants, even the<br>> ones they're selling. The
knowledge and years of hands on experience<br>> in growing and
propagating rare and difficult or unusual plants rest<br>> with our
*good* mailorder nurseries.<br>><br>> Marge Talt, zone 7
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>