Re: Mail order

I totally agree with Jim.  I think it is a regional thing.  Most plants that
grow in our (southern Texas) are hard to find mail order.  It seems that most
mail order are either geared for northern plants or tropicals.  Tropicals are
cheaper and easier to find locally, for the most part.  I too, enjoy seeing a
plant before I purchase it.  I suppose with a longer period in between growing
seasons it is more feasable for growing annuals from seed, but here, we enjoy
our one month of down time every six months....it's really much easier just
to purchase the annuals in bulk ready to plant.

I can't speak for Florida, but I know here in Southern Texas, the big box
stores really are no competition (with the exception of some annuals) for the
local nurseries.  The local nurseries offer the plants that grow much better in
the area.  The box stores recieve their plants through orders from the main
offices that are located in colder climates, and therefore usually do not carry
many plants that are suitable for the area.  Some box stores, with
knowledgeable dept. managers will get permission to bring in some suitable plants from
local growers, but very rarely and limited quantities.  This is very frustrating
for the manager who would like to offer the plants but cannot.

P.S. my apologies for not being around for the past months, it's been a rough
summer. Hope to be able to catch up with months of saved digests.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast