RE: now hosta

Yes, depends on where you live, but also on the variety of hosta. I'm in
Zone 5a, and most of my hostas cannot take the sun. I planted my first
hosta (Royal Standard)years ago on the east side of my house with no
protection. It grew fine, but the edges always crisped in the sun. That
was only morning to noon sun. When I moved it to shade it faired much
better. Now I have a Siebold grown from seed at the southeast - gets
more sun, which does fine.

When buying hosta, it's important to check to see if the variety was
bred to take some sun. Some cannot handle it at all, while others can
take full sun here.