Re: Mail Order Nurseries / One Speaks

Hello Melody,
    When I first began gardening I remember reading an article about a
holding area for plants. Made one and still use it today. Just a frame
against one end of the garage to protect from the prevailing winds. I can
cover it if I want, but usually do not. When I receive plants in the mail I
pot them up and place in the holding area until I get to them. May end up
being several years, or next month. Many benefits to this. One is watch for
disease before you bring a perennial or shrub into your already existing
garden. Two is simply for convenience. three is sometimes you watch you
latest purchase come into bloom next to one of last years or from different
source and realize they make great combinations I did not think of.
    When you receive most plants from me they can be mostly unwrapped,
exposing the foliage if there is any. Check moisture and if dry add just a
touch for moist, but not wet. Set them back in the box upright and place in
a protected spot. Open shade, but no dark corner unless everything is
dormant. They can be held this way for week to 10 days usually without
    I do by best to ship at the date you request on the order form, believe
most mail order nurseries do.
    Actually it is far easier and less time consuming for me to shop by
catalog. I do both the local nursery and garden center thing as well as mail
order. Enjoy both, but most of my purchases are from mail order.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana