Re: clivia

james singer wrote:

> I don't remember, Jim. Seems like forever. Probably close to 9 months,
> a year. As I recall, it bloomed soon after the days started to
> lengthen. I suppose I could check the threads in the archives. I had
> expected orange, I think, and was pleasantly surprised when it was
> yellow. {Now I need to find the address of that woman in the San
> Francisco bay area who had a red one; I wonder if hers set seed.]
>
> You know more about these things than I do. How many seeds should I
> expect in a pod? And when should I pick it?
Depends on the plant and the size of the pod. I would say
2 - 4 minimum. I have a photo of a single pod which had 23 !
seeds in it. I'll send you that offline.
If it's been on the plant 9 months, that's plenty of time. Minimum time from
pollination to harvest is perhaps 5 1/2
months. If the pod is yellowing, that also means it's ready
to come off.
Before you plant the seed, wash off the thin transparent
sheath each seed has; like an ultra-fine clear onion-skin.
-jrf

--
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA