Re: Mail Order Nurseries / One Speaks

I agree with the hold 'em or pot 'em up....I so very seldom actually
plant anything the day I get it, whether mail order or something
purchased locally.  Just about everything ends up in a pot for some
period of time - sometimes a very long period of time;-)

And, as was said, you can hold just about any plant you get that
comes with soil on the roots by just making sure the foliage can
breathe and it doesn't dry out.  A lot of nurseries simply remove the
pots they've been growing the plants in and leave the soil, so you
can just slip those in a pot of suitable size.  Bare root, of course,
are another item and do need to be tended as soon as you can, but
even those can be held for a while if the roots are well wrapped in
plastic and not allowed to dry out.

There is never enough time in the day and night to get everything
done when you want to, I have found.  One thing about potting stuff
up is that you can do it at night or whenever you can find a minute;
takes a lot less time than preparing soil and planting in the ground.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :