Re: Mail Order Nurseries/ Plugs & Trading

So,
    Why would I, as a nursery, order plugs when I can start from seed at far
less cost? Seeds would be about $5 - $10 or so, a tray of 72 plugs at $3.50
is $252.00. Many, many reasons, and I am simplifying here. Space and time.
Space to sow, germinate and grow on the seedlings. Time for them to get big
enough to pot up to about the size of the 72's, grow on once more to pot up
to the 5 pint. See where the plugs eliminate the germination time, the
handling and care.. which is labor and time. Labor and time are dollars.
Someone else had done of lot of work germinating seeds, growing them on for
me, or having access to tissue culture that I can not set up a lab and do
myself. All of this can only work if I can find the plants I want, of
course.
    I specialize in shade plants ... this eliminates most of every wholesale
catalog I pick up. I work through each catalog going for the best sizes and
dollars, usually just making their minimum required dollar amounts, moving
on to the next wholesaler. I do an awful lot of shopping, skimming off the
cream. I go out of my way to locate good wholesalers who are trying to do
something different in their world. I support "different" and quality when I
can locate it. My list of wholesalers to do business with has been built up
from experience over the past 10 years. So... hopefully I am not ordering
the same plugs as "everyone else"
    Most nurseries who are comfortable with themselves do horse trading. I
have some people I email or talk to on and off and we talk with each other
about seeds, overages on germination, trades for something we have been
looking for.... I keep a list of my "stuff" for three or four nurseries who
I know will be writing soon.
    We are all currently putting together next spring's inventory, orders
for fall and 05 spring.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com