Re: Mail Order Nurseries/ plants

Jim & Marge,
    Pricing if a lot of "stuff". Some cold hard reality, some voodoo, some
wishful thinking......
First I must begin with what it cost me... full cost. Then I must add on
minimum to make that back and place a profit on top. My accountant could
tell you better than I, but I don't think you want a complete list of
expenses a small business bumps into.
Yes, I must be aware of what the competition is charging for their similar
products.  I try to stay right in the middle of prices I see in other mail
order catalogs. But that is hard to do, for many reasons. There is size and
age of plants being sold for one. I do my best to sell a larger plant than
most mail order. But, having said that, it is not top priority.
    I also am specialized and have done a lot of your homework for you when
you shop. Shade plants, native and non-native rare or unusual perennials
that are tested in my garden for the mid-west. There is a hard copy catalog.
A web site in color with a monthly newsletter talking about plants that do
well here. If you come here to the nursery it is one on one.... by
appointment only. Where else can you go and get full attention for what ever
time you need? See the plants and their companions growing together? That is
the way we do business here, but if it is not paid for we go out of
business. Only way we have of making those dollars is in our end product.. a
plant in a pot. That pot and all that goes into it.. whether you can see it
or not... retails for about $6 to $9....
    Prices are also very much a local or regional thing.. Chicago, say, can
get a far better base price than I can here in rural Indiana , or mail
order.
    So.... there is not formula or simple direct answer to this one....
other than knowing your business and hoping like hell you can make it all
come together.
    Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com