Re: what are you reading?

I readily admit that I am an obsessive mystery reader.  I have been an
obsessive reader all my life - can't even remember learning to read.  I make no
apologies for reading two or three mysteries a week - as an indexer I read more
nonfiction books each year than many people read in a decade, and on whatever
subject happens to come along.  But for quite a few years now, my recreational
reading has been a pile of periodicals, including three or four garden
magazines, and endless mysteries.  Sometimes I have to look at the date to be sure I
haven't already read the book.  If it has been published within the past six
months I can be pretty sure I haven't already read it.  For many years I had a
circle of friends who were also mystery readers, and passed shopping bags of
them from one to another - four or five people in the circle.  However in the
past couple of years the group has collapsed - some died, some moved away.  If an
yone out there is interested, I could probably send a boxful to be passed
around.
  The animal-lovers in this group might enjoy Rita Mae Brown's books with
animals as active participants.  There is one series with Sneaky Pie Brown (her
cat) that is pretty good, but in the past couple of years she has introduced
another series that I find quite interesting.  "Outfoxed" is one, and more
recently "Hotspur."  These are set in Southern fox-hunting country, and the social
picture is quite significant.
  Shirley Rousseau Murphy's Joe Grey series is amusing, but I like it less.
This series features supercats that solve the mysteries and give the clues to
the police by telephone so that their talking ability will not be discovered.
Just too gimicky for my taste.
Auralie