From: Pamela J. Evans [mailto: gardenqueen@gbronline.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu,  4 Dec 2003 06:31:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?

Melody - when I was a kid and my eyes went bad, they kept
deteriorating<br>so fast that I overheard the doctor (yes I was
eavesdropping) tell my<br>parents that if they couldn't stop it I could
feasibly go blind by the<br>time I was 20. When I used to go to the
public library as a kid, I was<br>secretly teaching myself Braille, just
in case. Obviously it didn't<br>happen and my parents never said a word
----------------------------------<br>From: "Melody"
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Thu, 4
Dec 2003 06:47:34 -0500 (EST)<br><br>>Reading is something so basic to
my life that I fear for my sanity<br>>should I ever lose my sight...it
seems to me that no one ever had to<br>>really show me how to read...I
distinctly remember picking up the Dick<br>>and Jane books in first
grade and somehow what was on those pages just<br>>made sense to
me...one of the truly memorable moments of my life was<br>>getting my
first library card at the public library a few weeks later. I<br>>will
never forget the intense feeling of awe and sheer joy that card<br>>gave
me...literally a passport out of the hell my childhood was into
as<br>>many worlds of magic as I could read...by middle of first grade I
had<br>>been moved into the third grade reading classes, by the time I
hit 7th<br>>grade they no longer had enough for me to read and so put me
in an<br>>independent study program...it was great since it meant I had
access to<br>>any book in the public library system I wanted to read.
Finished most of<br>>the "classics" long before I hit high school...so
it seems strange to me<br>>that these days most of my reading consists
of the trashiest romance<br>>novels I can find...the more lurid sex the
better! :-) But truth be<br>>told, I'll read just about anything I can
lay my hands on...I love<br>>murder mysteries, anything to do with
serial killers, science fiction,<br>>romance, classics, etc...I guess
I'm just an indiscriminate reader. A<b

r>>couple of years ago, one of our local thrift stores went out of
business<br>>and the owner gave away all of the paperbacks in the
store...in one<br>>hour, I carried out over 500 romance novels...took me
less than a year<br>>and a half to read them all...truly wish I'd had
time to make a second<br>>stop before she closed her store for good.
Right now I'm reading Thomas<br>>Gifford's The Assassini, a murder
(Z 5/4)<br>><br>>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
Browning < judybrowning@lewiston.com > wrote:<br>>From: Judy L Browning
[mailto: judybrowning@lewiston.com]<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:49:57
must be related somehow.<br>In 3rd grade, my desk was right<br>>next to
the "library", four short shelves of<br>books. While the teacher<br>>was
diverted by classmates, I read them all, at the<br>expense of
basic<br>>math skills. I never could stand to stay on the page
Bush"<br>><genebush@otherside.com><br>To:
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:<br>>Wednesday, December 03, 2003 3:49
Judy,<br>> A single book by Burroughs was in a box<br>>of books given to
my parents<br>> when I was a pre teen. Very much a<br>>mix... Arabian
nights, Bullfinch<br>> mythology, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew,<br>>Verne, De
Maupassant. It was like dying<br>> and going to heaven. Took<br>>the box
and stayed hidden all summer reading it<br>> all. The Tarzan<br>>book
was one of a series and I remember being very<br>> disappointed
at<br>>the time over the "to be continued". And this summer I got<br>>
to<br>>thinking about it once more. Finally began looking and the
Science<br>><br>>Fiction Book of the Month club

ad the three in the services in one<br>>book<br>> reprinted this past
month. I took it as a "sign" and ordered a<br>>copy.<br>> A bit later
hall from me..... cool. Our very own library and<br>>study hall.<br>>
Gene E. Bush<br>> Munchkin Nursery & Gardens,
genebush@munchkinnursery.com<br>> Zone 6/5<br>>Southern
remember if I read Burroughs or Verne first. I was
introduced<br>>to<br>> > both by the bookmobile that dropped by the
reread long before<br>>it was due again. Oh, the<br>> > anticipation.
The best thing was it<br>>always had a different selection of<br>> >
sign-off this list, send emai<br>><br>>l to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>> message text
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>message<br>>text
UNSUBSCRIBE