From: Jesse Bell [mailto: jesserenebell@hotmail.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 08:28:45 -0600
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?

Same here Melody....books were my escape out of my dysfunctional family
morning and <br>my mother would come in my room and yell at me to turn
the lights out and go <br>to BED! I was an advanced reader in school
too. When I lived in Enid, <br>Oklahoma and received my first library
card, I thought I had died and gone <br>to Heaven. Then we moved to a
more rural area...and no big library. BUT <br>the book mobile came to
our school and I was the first in line and checked <br>out the maximum
amount of books every single time. I can't imagine life <br>without
books. I was reading to my children at a very, very young age. I
like to <br>read now (I can't understand that at all) but the one who
looks the most <br>like me (Brianna) is a book worm. And my stepdaughter
<mhobertm@excite.com><br>>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you
is something so basic to my life that I fear for my sanity<br>>should I
ever lose my sight...it seems to me that no one ever had to<br>>really
show me how to read...I distinctly remember picking up the Dick<br>>and
Jane books in first grade and somehow what was on those pages
just<br>>made sense to me...one of the truly memorable moments of my
life was<br>>getting my first library card at the public library a few
weeks later. I<br>>will never forget the intense feeling of awe and
sheer joy that card<br>>gave me...literally a passport out of the hell
my childhood was into as<br>>many worlds of magic as I could read...by
middle of first grade I had<br>>been moved into the third grade reading
classes, by the time I hit 7th<br>>grade they no longer had enough for
me to read and so put

me in an<br>>independent study program...it was great since it meant I
had access to<br>>any book in the public library system I wanted to
read. Finished most of<br>>the "classics" long before I hit high
school...so it seems strange to me<br>>that these days most of my
reading consists of the trashiest romance<br>>novels I can find...the
more lurid sex the better! :-) But truth be<br>>told, I'll read just
about anything I can lay my hands on...I love<br>>murder mysteries,
anything to do with serial killers, science fiction,<br>>romance,
classics, etc...I guess I'm just an indiscriminate reader. A<br>>couple
of years ago, one of our local thrift stores went out of
business<br>>and the owner gave away all of the paperbacks in the
store...in one<br>>hour, I carried out over 500 romance novels...took me
less than a year<br>>and a half to read them all...truly wish I'd had
time to make a second<br>>stop before she closed her store for good.
Right now I'm reading Thomas<br>>Gifford's The Assassini, a murder
(Z 5/4)<br>><br>>"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
Browning < judybrowning@lewiston.com > wrote:<br>>From: Judy L Browning
[mailto: judybrowning@lewiston.com]<br>>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>>Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:49:57
must be related somehow.<br>In 3rd grade, my desk was right<br>>next to
the "library", four short shelves of<br>books. While the teacher<br>>was
diverted by classmates, I read them all, at the<br>expense of
basic<br>>math skills. I never could stand to stay on the page
<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent:<br>>Wednesday, December 03, 2003 3:49

br>> A single book by Burroughs was in a box<br>>of books given to my
parents<br>> when I was a pre teen. Very much a<br>>mix... Arabian
nights, Bullfinch<br>> mythology, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew,<br>>Verne, De
Maupassant. It was like dying<br>> and going to heaven. Took<br>>the box
and stayed hidden all summer reading it<br>> all. The Tarzan<br>>book
was one of a series and I remember being very<br>> disappointed
at<br>>the time over the "to be continued". And this summer I got<br>>
to<br>>thinking about it once more. Finally began looking and the
Science<br>><br>>Fiction Book of the Month club had the three in the
services in one<br>>book<br>> reprinted this past month. I took it as a
"sign" and ordered a<br>>copy.<br>> A bit later when I went to a boy's
genebush@munchkinnursery.com<br>> Zone 6/5<br>>Southern
remember if I read Burroughs or Verne first. I was
introduced<br>>to<br>> > both by the bookmobile that dropped by the
reread long before<br>>it was due again. Oh, the<br>> > anticipation.
The best thing was it<br>>always had a different selection of<br>> >
sign-off this list, send emai<br>><br>>l to majordomo@hort.net with
the<br>> message text
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>message<br>>text
Excite! -