From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 16:21:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what are you reading?

These looked to be older library books. We do have a Friends of
the<br>Library organization here too, doing much the same thing. My
guess is<br>that it had something to do with a complete revamping of our
library<br>system here. The library wanted $15 million to enlarge the
main library,<br>improve existing satellite libraries and completely
rebuild a few<br>satellites. This was another one of those
uproar/petition things here in<br>Fort Wayne. People will spend anything
to expand sporting arenas, but<br>libraries? Well we won and the
expansion is going on now and will be for<br>some time. I think that
with this huge overhaul there may have been too<br>many books to dispose
of and too labor an money intensive to offer to<br>the public. Too much
hassle and $freight$ to try to send where they<br>could be used. But it
of horrors, Kitty! For years I was the Pres of the Friends of the<br>>
Cedar Rapids public library organization, and ran the annual booksale
for<br>> about a decade. We have around 80,000 books to offer to the
public every<br>> year - ALL donated to us - and none for more than
$2.00 for an adult<br>> hardback. Proceeds from the sale go back to the
library for computer<br>> equipment, etc. Why would someone just toss
good books? We get a lot of<br>> junk (moldy, torn, etc) that we
recycle, but what you saw is just nuts.<br>> I'm afraid I would have
been stopping to pick them up.<br>> <br>> >I saw a sad sight today. On
my way to work I saw books lying in the road.<br>> Then more books. Then
piles of books, for a good 2 miles. Then I came up<br>> to a huge dump
truck that was fully loaded with them and had been losing<br>> them all
GARDENCHAT<br><br>