Re: Rainfall Map

> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
> http://snurl.com/3agg
----------

Well, now, Kitty, I find that map to be most interesting.  It may
well be crude and not take into consideration all the infinite
details that affect plant survival, but it sure illustrates which
parts of the country can expect to have similar conditions from a
moisture standpoint.  Most interesting.  Thanks for posting that - I
had not run across it before.

I am not sure it is physically possible to come up with a map that
illustrates *everything* that is a consideration for plant growth in
every part of this vast land, but what is out there does serve as a
starting point - and we all have to start somewhere.  I think that
all of the maps ought to stress this.  Some people who have put maps
up on their web sites do stress that it's only a beginning, but I
fear that so many (esp. new) gardeners, when they discover 'zones' of
any kind, take them for gospel.  Actually, I know a rather
experienced gardener who seems to do that regarding plant
hardiness....if the nursery says z7, by gum, I'm in z 7 and why did
it die?  Of course, the nursery might be 250 miles south and still in
z7 or many states away and still in z7....that person and I have gone
around the barn on this issue to no avail:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers