Re: rainfall map

In a message dated 12/6/2003 8:00:09 AM Central Standard Time,
gardenchat-owner@hort.net writes:
Both frequency and
> time of
> occurrence would be as important as how much.  Just ask any flood
> victim.
Again, I think this is region specific.   Here the frequency of rain is less
important than the amount.  South Texas doesn't have a typical rain
period....growing or dormancy.  The frequency of rain is the same for my area or parts
east of me....however the amount that they get is much more than we do.
Instead of Xeriscaping, here the term is Waterwise gardening.  Unlike many
areas that are dry constantly with high heat....we don't concentrate as much on
the heat as we do on the water requirements.  Not the frequency, but the
amounts.   One has to plant the garden accordingly.  Plants have to be able to
survive periods of drought as well as periods of standing in water.  The grade of
the garden depends on how well the plants can take these conditions.  Plants
that are less tolerant of wet feet get put in raised beds, or in pots without
saucers.   Parts east of me, don't plant anything that isn't tolerant of
standing water.

I agree that tables are a great start, however, they can easily be misleading
as well, especially when WAY off as in the Texas part of this chart.  This
shows Pam and I getting pretty much the same rainfall....I think she'd be the
first to say that this is not even close to accuracy.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast