Re: loss of sight

In a message dated 12/09/2003 7:07:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
L_Valentine@adelphia.net writes:

> There is something called an ocular migraine - my Dad gets them and I've
> had
> a couple but not recently.  No pain, just very strange visual effects (and
> sometimes a dull headache after).  I believe it's caused by a temporary
> constriction of an optic nerve.  Starts for me as a bright floating
> fuzzy-edged spot in the center of my vision, then gradually expands outward
> as a distorted, bright ring, and takes 30 minutes to an hour to expand out
> of sight.  Picasso is a good way to describe it, except where the ring is
> you can't see. (And no, nothing in my tea but tea!)

I have those, too.  Most disorienting.  I was very frightened the first time
it happened, but the eye doctor assured me it was all in my brain, nothing
wrong with my eyes.  In my case it starts as a brilliant zigzag line that moves
across my vision - even continues with my eyes closed.  It usually goes away in
about half an hour, but while it is "going" it is hard to do anything,
Auralie