Re: Fashion Note: now sago

james singer wrote:
<snip>
> With sagos, this is easy. They have survived zillions of years by
> toughing it out. And there is an enormous repository of vegetative
> vigor in those stems; once entrenched, they are close to kill proof. So
> cut off the infected fronds and let it re-create itself.
"Close to kill proof' boy, are they. My sister and husband
have 60-odd acres east of Sarasota in cattle country. When
somebody wants to clear a sago forest to make more pasture,
they first do a controled burn of the tops, then disking
N-S then E-W, then pull a harrow across several times to
tear up the segments of roots. And still they grow here and
there...
-jrf
--
Jim Fisher