Re: Fashion Note: now sago

Lets hear it for those living fossils!!
Cathy
On Monday, December 15, 2003, at 06:25 PM, james singer wrote:

I get ya. My thoughts are these.

First, the plant is not a palm. It's a cycad. Big difference, Kitty. No way could one cut a true palm back to a nub and not kill it.

But cycads are very different and this one is under attack. Any plant wants to survive [more intensely, incidentally, than we want it to survive because its sexual future is in its survival but ours is not]. So the best thing we can do for any plant or this plant is to remove threats to its survival.

With sagos, this is easy. They have survived zillions of years by toughing it out. And there is an enormous repository of vegetative vigor in those stems; once entrenched, they are close to kill proof. So cut off the infected fronds and let it re-create itself.

This may not be a good strategy for coleus or orange trees, however.