Tony's tree

Also think it's a marvelous idea, but agree with Donna.  Someone
needs to talk to Janice about it because we do need to know how much
space is available for the mature tree size and whether it would be
in sun or shade.

The PNW climate is pretty marvelous for plants, except for those
requiring a long, hot summer.  Most of it is z8ish - cold hardiness,
except in the mountains, isn't as big an issue as for most of us and
summers do not have hot, humid nights.  Only issue would be if a tree
needed a long warm season to mature wood.

I like the magnolia suggestion.  Did a bit of searching before I ran
out of steam in the wee hours and Ginkgo was also a consideration
tho' it has to be a male as the females make an incredibly messy and
smelly fruit, plus it grows to be an enormous tree.

I had found Cornus nuttallii (Pacific dogwood) for edge of woodland
type conditions; native to the PNW, which would be very nice if the
area is shady.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/conu.htm
has info. on it.  Hit "final picture" at the top of the page and then
work backward (previous) to see images of foliage, flowers, fruit,
fall color and form.

I think the tree needs to be one that has good form, flowers and good
fall color (if deciduous) - a nifty bark wouldn't hurt - a 4-season
tree so Tony's spirit can enjoy it all year around.  And, it needs to
be something that can be readily found in their local area so a
decent size can be purchased and planted.  Most mail order is gonna
be too small.  Also think tree needs to be one that does not require
too much pampering to grow well (may knock the Cornus out of the box,
but it's a nifty tree).

If anybody knows the town, I can do some inquiring among net buddies
in PNW to see if anybody knows the best nursery near it.

But, think Janice needs to be consulted and also think it might be
best to wait a few days - may be very difficult for her to devote
mind-power to this right this minute.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade