Re: Tony's tree

> From: Judy L Browning <judybrowning@lewiston.com>
> Agree Marge,
> Town is Vancouver, Washington, just across the Columbia from
> Oregon. I think the Pacific Dogwood is native to that area. It's
one I had
> considered too.

Thanks, Judy...I wasn't with it enough to have picked that up:-)

Just looked at Rainyside.com - a lovely site for PNW gardeners,
hosted by a couple of ex Suite editors and note that their native
Rhododendron macrophyllum (coast rhododendron) can reach 20' in
height - that's the same as a small tree, so maybe it qualifies for
the list as well.

Rainyside is worth a looksee even if you don't garden in PNW...nice

Yes the Pacific dogwood is native to that area.

I just did a bit of mapquesting and find that Collector's Nursery is
only about 8 or 10 miles from where Tony lived.  I've just sent off
an email to Diana Reeck, one of the owners, asking her for a tree
recommendation for that area - if, of course, she's got the time
right now to provide one.  Collector's is a great nursery, but
mailorder.  I don't know if they even have larger specimens of trees
for local sale.  I know you can go there as I have known people who
have, but they may only be open a few special days a year.

Will post immediately if/when I get a reply from her.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :